For General Emergencies
- Keep yourself and others CALM
- Quickly move to the outside of the building using the nearest door marked with an “EXIT” sign.
- Close and secure all doors and windows as you leave.
- Take your keys, ID, etc., with you, in case you can't return to your building and must go home.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATOR. Proceed to the nearest safe stairway
- Be certain all persons in the area are evacuated immediately. Keep a list of all laboratory personnel near the exit of the lab/office that can easily be accessed and taken out of the building during an emergency. Use this list as a checklist to ensure all persons are out of the building. Advise emergency response personnel of any missing individuals.
- Help those who need special assistance (disabled, small children, etc.)
- Report immediately to the designated gathering area located near your building (please refer to map)
- Wait for instructions from emergency response personnel. DO NOT RE-ENTER THE BUILDING!
- In Case of a Small Fire:
- Grab the nearest fire extinguisher.
- Make sure you have an unobstructed exit available to you.
- Pull the finger pin located in the extinguisher’s handle.
- Aim the nozzle at the BASE of the fire.
- Squeeze the handles, passing the nozzle back and forth until the fire is out.
- In Case of a Large Fire:
- DO NOT STAY IN THE AREA. DO NOT TRY TO USE AN EXTINGUISHER.
- Immediately evacuate the building. Using the stairs (NOT THE ELEVATOR), move quickly to the designated gathering area
- If not already done, pull the fire alarm located closest to you.
- Remain outside, upwind from any smoke until the fire department personnel have arrived, contained the fire, and turned off the alarm.
- Building occupants may only re-enter the building after the emergency response personnel have given clearance
Earthquake Procedures (during heavy shaking)
- Quickly take cover under a desk/table or crouch in a corner away from large surfaces.
- Expect at least 30 seconds of strong shaking.
- After the shaking has subsided, quickly evacuate the building, using the stairs (not the elevator), to the designated gathering area (see map).
- Personnel will not be allowed to return to their work area until the building has been inspected structurally.